A Spanish lady lost her life after undergoing a treatment of acupuncture that makes use of live bee stings in lieu of needles.
The 55-year-old woman had undergone apitherapy that is an alternative style of drugs incorporating honeybees and/or the substances produced by them for once in a month for two consecutive years to treat muscle tightness and stress.
In accordance with a report recently published in the Journal of Investigational Allergology and Clinical Immunology, soon after getting a live bee sting in a single session, the lady’s breathing became labored and suddenly she lost her consciousness.
The ambulance arrived after around 30 minutes, upon which the emergency medical personnel administered a double dose of adrenaline, corticosteroids, a saline infusion, and antihistamines. The heart rate of the patient stabilized on the way to the hospital.
The woman died of multiple organ failures after several weeks. As per the journal report, she faced a huge watershed stroke and a permanent coma because of perpetual hypotension stemming from her serious anaphylactic episode.
According to the report, this is reportedly the first death that occurred due to bee venom apitherapy following anaphylaxis. As per the report of the year 2015, a 65-year-old lady lost her life after getting bee venom therapy from an unlicensed apitherapist in South Korea.
Had the ambulance arrived more quickly and had the apitherapist administered adrenaline immediately after her symptoms got noticed then things for the woman could have been different.
The doctors stated that the live bee venom treatments are not advisable as they are unsafe.
In accordance with the American Apitherapy Society Inc., the bee products advocate healing by improving circulation, stimulating a healthy immune response, and decreasing inflammation. As per the claims of the organization the treatment is effective for wounds, pain, gout, infections, tendonitis, burns, and multiple sclerosis.
Treatments involving bee venom have been in the gossip for some years now. Celebrities like Kate Middleton and Gwyneth Paltrow reportedly acclaimed the benefits of the allergen.