Marketed as Anadrol and Anapolan, oxymetholone is another artificial drug from the family of anabolic steroids. Developed in the 1960s by Syntex Pharmaceuticals, the drug has been approved for human consumption by the Food and Drug Authority of the United States. It is used by the masses for a variety of purposes. It is most commonly known as Anadrol 50. It is known to exhibit its results very rapidly once its consumption is started. It is immensely popular amongst athletes and bodybuilders for its strength-increasing properties. However, its use has now become limited after the development of its non-steroid substitutes.
Reasons why you may consider using this drug
Initially developed as a means to treat anemia and osteoporosis, Anadrol has a whole bunch of advantages that you may witness to have while consuming this drug. But, ever since the development of its non-steroid alternatives like epoetin alpha (that do not even have side effects as much as Anadrol), its use has been limited now.
Here are a few benefits of consuming this drug:
- Anemia: It is extensively used in the treatment of anemia. It increases the production of erythropoietin hormone which is responsible for the production of red blood cells (since deficiency of red blood cells causes’ anemia).
- Builds muscle tissue: It is used to build muscle tissue and also helps in preservation of lean body mass.
- Performance enhancing properties: Anadrol is extremely popular amongst athletes to enhance their performance. As with other anabolic drugs, Anadrol helps in building lean body mass which leads to an increase in strength and thus helps the athletes to perform better.
- Osteoporosis: Anadrol is used in the treatment of osteoporosis as well to relieve patients from the pain and complications of the disease.
- Supplement to other steroids: Anadrol has another advantage of acting as a supplement to other steroids. It is often stacked with other steroids to enhance and improve their activity.
- HIV waste syndrome: Anadrol has recently been used successfully in the treatment of HIV wasting syndrome as well.
- Improves protein synthesis: Anadrol, despite its weak binding affinity for receptors, has brilliant abilities to improve protein synthesis in the body, which is why it is immensely popular amongst body-builders.
- Metabolism: The metabolic activities of the body are performed multiple times faster than normal with the help of this drug.
Steer clear of steroids: possible side-effects
Every anabolic steroid comes with its own list of side effects and Anadrol is no exception to it. With so many benefits, come the numerous side effects of this steroid. However, if taken in a controlled amount, many of the possible side effects can be avoided.
Here is a glimpse of the downside of the steroid Anadrol 50:
- Gastric problems: Many gastric problems may trouble you if you are on a dose of anadrol like diarrhea, vomiting, stomach irritation, etc.
- Mood swings: Like other anabolic steroids, mood swings, headache, anxiety are common side- effects of this steroid.
- Weight issues: Rapid weight gain or loss of weight might occur if you are on a dose of this drug. Contact your physician promptly if any such problem occurs.
- Masculinity in women: Anadrol is not a drug that can be considered well suited to women. Thus, women on a high or prolonged dose of the drug may suffer from masculinity troubles. And, these might be permanent. Hence, women must be very cautious while using this drug and must not consume the drug without prescription.
- Premature puberty in males: Puberty may occur before time in males due to the effect of this drug. If any such side effects occur, consult your physician as soon as possible.
- Skin and hair related problems: Hair loss, skin acne, rashes, and growth of facial hair etc some side- effects that anadrol may leave on your skin and hair. However, these are temporary effects and may reverse when the drug consumption is ceased.
- Changes in the size of testicles, trouble with urination, enlargement of penis, frequent erections are some side effects that this drug may cause in the males consuming it.
- Swelling: Swelling of ankles, feet, face or lips is a common side- effect of the anadrol 50 steroid.
- Sleeping disorders: Sleeping troubles like insomnia, anxiety, snoring, or excitation are the primary side effects that occur in people on a dosage of this drug.
- High blood pressure: High blood pressure, as caused by every anabolic steroid, is another side effect of this anabolic steroid as well. Thus, get your blood pressure timely checked while on a dose of this drug.
- Risk to liver (like Dianabol): As with many other anabolic steroids, anadrol too causes toxication of the lever. It makes the liver highly toxic and if the dose is too high or prolonged, it may permanently damage the liver. However, in all other situations, these toxic effects are not permanent, but can be harmful if they persist for a very long time. This is the reason why alcohol consumption is prohibited by physicians to the patients who are on a dose of this drug.
- Effects on cholesterol levels: Anadrol increases the levels of LDL (the bad cholesterol) and lowers the levels of HDL (the good cholesterol) which can prove to be harmful in the long run. Hence, get your cholesterol levels regularly checked until the consumption of the drug is continued.
- Gynecomastia, water retention are also amongst the numerous side effects of this drug.
- Effects in females: Deepening or hoarsening of the voice, clitoral enlargement, and irregular menstrual cycles are the side- effects that might occur in females consuming this drug.
Actions necessary to be taken
Many of the side effects of the drug may be avoided if the dose is taken in controlled amounts. Decrease the dose by small amounts and finally stop the consumption. If the problem persists, contact your physician.