Things are constantly changing in the arena of health and fitness but diets and “quick fixes” for loss of weight seem to be there to stay. A new diet that has lately come up to be a national level buzz is reportedly the ketogenic diet – a low carbohydrate, a high fat diet that transfers metabolism from carbohydrates to fat.

The diet ensures rapid weight loss and more precisely, fat loss. This diet did not hike to fame with promotions by celebrities. It was developed in the year 1920 as a medicine for children suffering from epilepsy who failed to respond to other medications. In accordance with the National Epilepsy Foundation, the ketogenic diet, generally is not prescribed for the adults, because the much-restricted food choices prove it to be very hard to follow.

As per the diet, 70-80 percent of the daily calories is gained from fat, 15-20 percent from protein, and remaining 5 percent is gained from carbohydrates. This is not in accordance with USDA guidelines of diet that recommends that 20-35 percent of calories is obtained from fat, 10-35 percent from protein, and the rest 45-65 percent from carbohydrates. Consumption of high amounts of fat in the diet with the minimal amount of carbohydrates compels the body into ketosis, which is a natural, physiological condition occurring when the body does not has enough carbs to break down to release energy, making the body to turn to fat as fuel.

These needs of nutrition cannot be made up with the conventional American diet, nor can be made up with a healthy diet comprising of fruits, whole grains, vegetables, healthy fats, and lean protein. The diet does not include carbohydrates like beans, grains, and certain fruits. The downside of eliminating such groups of food from the diet is that they form the main sources of fiber that are crucial for blood sugar control, weight loss, bowel regularity, and desirable cholesterol levels. Additionally, excellent sources of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants would be missed out which are important for health.

Most preferably avocados, eggs, poultry, butter, oils, non-starchy veggies, nuts, and seeds can be eaten in this extremely exclusionary diet. Keto dieters incline more towards coconut oil, bacon, and egg yolks to reach up to the high fat intake and keep the protein intake moderate.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here