Jimmy John’s restaurants: 5 ill eating sprouts

The state Department of Health services reported that in Wisconsin, five people have fallen ill after eating raw sprouts at Jimmy John’s restaurants. All the five people are ill with a salmonella infection.

The Department of Health warned until the investigation is completing the customers are requested not to eat from Jimmy John’s because the sandwich chain is selling infected.

After eating sprouts at Jimmy John’s restaurants three more people in neighboring state Minnesota and Illinois are infected by the same bacteria.

James North the CEO and president of Jimmy John’s stated that the food safety and the food safety and the welfare of their customers are top priorities and not negotiable in their business.

Jimmy John’s also stated after the decision was made to stop serving sprouts that after an investigation indicated that sprouts purchased could be linked to seven food safety complaints received over a one-week period in December in Illinois and Wisconsin.

The most recent illness began January 3 but no deaths or hospitalizations are in the count, reported by the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

All the seven patients told to Centre for Disease Control that all of them had sprouts on their sandwiches.

According to the Department of Health Services, the symptoms of Salmonella are abdominal cramping, diarrhea, fever, and vomiting but it’s not necessary that all the symptoms will be present. The illness usually remains for three to seven days.

According to the Centre for Disease Control, most people recover without treatment. But it is always suggested that a doctor should be consulted if a person develops salmonella symptoms by eating sprouts.

Department of Health Services said that the infection of Salmonella can still be transferred from person to person even after symptoms abate. The chances of spreading of the bacteria can be reduced by washing hands regularly with soap and water.