As of August (2016), the Titan comprises approximately 20 stand-alone “tank born” volumes, all of which are available for purchase.
The plot is set in an alternate reality where humans cower in walled cities from giant beings called Titans. These Titans are enormous “human-like” beings that attack cities seemingly for the sole purpose of eating the people that live there. The early stories focus on three central characters. Eren Yeager, his adopted sister Mikasa Ackerman, and his best friend, Armin Arlet. The three survive an attack on their home but Eren’s mother does not. In the aftermath, all three enlist in the military to dedicate their lives to stopping the Titan threat.
Over the years, Isayama has shifted away from the first three protagonists to focus more on characters like Historia Reiss and Levi. These newer actors, all initially supporting characters, allow Isayama to expand his story universe and tease out the origin Titan threat.
Met with worldwide success, there have been multiple spin-offs from the original Manga. This includes:
- Three short novels
- Five Manga series:“Before the Fall”, follows the 2011 novel of the same name.
- Anime tv show: produced by Wit Studio and Production I.G., AoT. Originally aired in 2013 and the second season will be released in 2017.
- One two-part live action movie (“Attack on Titan” and “Attack on Titan: End of the World”)
- Seven AoT video games (released or announced)
- The first four games were a collaborative effort between Nitroplus and Production I.G. and all followed an interactive comic book approach.
- A standalone action-adventure game titled A.o.T.: Humanity in Chains which was released in 2013 (Japan) and 2015 (western markets).
- o.T: Wings of Defense shipped worldwide on August 26th, 2016. Developed by Omega Force and Capcom, so far it has received positive reviews from fans and critiques alike.