From regal navy-inspired overcoats and pinstripe suits to glamorous tinsel-donned evening dresses and leopard print, these fashion highlights are what’s trending this fall season.
1. Navy-Inspired Overcoats: These calf and ankle-length overcoats are the latest nautical trend. If you struggle with a shorter-frame, throw on a pair of your favorite heels to keep from being swallowed up in the length of these coats. Making appearances at John Galliano, Tommy Hilfiger, Coach and Prada, these overcoats were an obsession on the runway this season!
2. Pinstripe Suits: If you don’t have one or two of these suits hanging in your closet, you are behind! Almost anyone can pull of pinstripe suits and it is easy to see why. This sexy and sophisticated look began trending in 2014 and is back this fall. Giving the appearance of a taller, slimmer figure, these suits were popular with Max Mara, Calvin Klein, Tibi, and Sies Marjan on the runway.
3. Capelets: Your search for the perfect “mini” cover-up is over! Here is a solution that will keep your shoulders warm this winter and keep you looking super cute in the process. These capelets were seen on the runway this fall by popular designers A Detacher, Burberry, Christian Dior, Brandon Maxwell, and MSGM.
4. David Bowie Boots: Tall boots have always been a fall-favorite, but these super-chunky sole boots take the trend to a whole new level. They have made numerous appearances on the runway this season by designers Margiela, Balenciaga, Vivienne Westwood, and Marc Jacobs.
5. Schoolgirl Jumpers & Checker-Print:When you combine checker-print with jumpers, you get the sought-after schoolgirl look. We just couldn’t get enough of this seemingly simple combination this fall, judging by multiple appearances on the runway by top designers Tomas Maier, Each x Other, Trademark, Jason Wu, Suno, and Jil Sander Navy.
6. Tiers, Tiers & More Tiers: Tiers and ruffles are not just for the rich and famous! These multi-layered skirts and dresses have become increasingly popular this season. As seen at Giorgio Armani, Oscar de la Renta, Jonathan Simkhai, No. 21, and Gucci, tiers are growing in popularity!
7. Shearling Coats: Before making a break into the fashion world, shearling coats were often simply referred to as sheepskin. Celebrities like Alexa Chung, Karlie Kloss, and Chloë Grace Moretz have recently been spotted wearing this hot trend around the city, bearing a more urban-feel. On the runway, this trend was seen by Topshop Unique, Burberry, Carven, Veronique Branquinho, and Bottega Veneta.
8. The Statement Choker: You likely remember the cute, thin choker necklaces that were all the rage just a couple of years ago. These chokers have made a comeback, completely reinvented. These fashion chokers cover the entire width of the neck and were flaunted on the runway by designers Lanvin, Loewe, Balmain, and Dries Van Noten this fall.
9. Patent Leather Trench Coats: Making an appearance not only on the runway but also in modern-day society, these patent leather trench coats are continuing to increase in popularity this fall. Leather is not just for purses and belts anymore! Hang up your plain, boring raincoat and join the leather craze. These coats were seen on the runway this fall by popular fashion designers Proenza Schouler, Philosophy di Lorenzo Serafini, Dior, Beaufille, and Simon Miller.
10. Leopard Print: This is one fashion trend that seems like it will never fizzle out. Leopard print is back and on the rise, having made notable appearances at Alexander Wang, Coach, and Sonia Rykiel.
11. Black & Sheer: Who doesn’t love black, sheer prints? They have been around forever and have made several appearances this fall on the runway by designers Chanel, Michael Kors, Alexander McQueen, Alexander Wang, and Givenchy. Whether enjoying a casual night out with friends or a romantic date, black and sheer is the perfect choice.
12. One-Arm Tops: If you remember the debut of the widely popular off-the-shoulder tops, you will be able to appreciate this new cut turning heads on the runway this season. Seen by designers Aquilano Rimondi, Herve Leger, Rodarte, and Chalayan, this new style is gaining popularity.
13. Tinsel:We are bringing this last one in just in time for the holiday season. From tinsel-donned evening dresses to sparkly, shiny coats and skirts, tinsel is making a jaw-dropping introduction on the runway! As seen at Adam Selman, Dolce & Gabbana, Fendi, and Marco de Vincenzo.